Re: Even for Note-track? Re: CFC - Standing permission to publish Working Drafts of COGA Gap Analysis

...because, as Michael notes, doing the change log isn't "easy" nor simple.

I honestly am not fussed about where or how, only that we emerge with a
system/tool that works for all, and that we should be thinking first about
outcomes, *THEN* picking the right tool, rather than using a tool, and then
doing cartwheels to make it do what we need and want it to do - is all.

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 02/02/2018 17:27, John Foliot wrote:
>
>> So...
>>
>> I know that GitHub is the tool of choice these days at the W3C, but here
>> I *really* think that if we moved the editorial work over to a wiki page at
>> this point, that we'd have what we need. Wikis provide the kind of
>> historical change data that we're looking for here,
>>

> How is history in a wiki better/different from the commit history you'd
> get from git?
>
> https://github.com/w3c/coga/commits/master/gap-analysis/index.html
>
> In both cases, it's about being disciplined enough to write sensible
> change/commit messages, avoiding too many bitty little changes/commits (if
> needed, use commit amendments, interactive rebases, etc to keep the history
> clean), etc.
>
> and once the heavy lifting is done, we could then move back to GitHub, (or
>> just publish the darned thing). I suspect it's simply a matter of choosing
>> the right tool for the job, rather than trying to pound square pegs into
>> star-shaped holes...
>>
> Choosing the right tool, absolutely. But why is a system that's explicitly
> all about version control and providing accurate change history like git
> not deemed suitable compared to a wiki?

> Patrick H. Lauke

John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist