Re: Even for Note-track? Re: CFC - Standing permission to publish Working Drafts of COGA Gap Analysis

On 02/02/2018 17:27, John Foliot wrote:
> So...
>
> I know that GitHub is the tool of choice these days at the W3C, but here
> I *really* think that if we moved the editorial work over to a wiki page
> at this point, that we'd have what we need. Wikis provide the kind of
> historical change data that we're looking for here,

How is history in a wiki better/different from the commit history you'd
get from git?

https://github.com/w3c/coga/commits/master/gap-analysis/index.html

In both cases, it's about being disciplined enough to write sensible
change/commit messages, avoiding too many bitty little changes/commits
(if needed, use commit amendments, interactive rebases, etc to keep the
history clean), etc.

> and once the heavy
> lifting is done, we could then move back to GitHub, (or just publish the
> darned thing). I suspect it's simply a matter of choosing the right tool
> for the job, rather than trying to pound square pegs into star-shaped
> holes...
Choosing the right tool, absolutely. But why is a system that's
explicitly all about version control and providing accurate change
history like git not deemed suitable compared to a wiki?

Patrick H. Lauke