Re: Created branch with proposed wording for 1.3.4

> We are talking about general browser functionality, so *everyone* (with
autofill turned on) would get their name filled in!

First, this is not just an autofill issue. Autofill does not have to be
turned on for there to be benefit via an AT from using the purpose
attribute value. So, it is the use of the 'misusse' of the attribute value
(from an a11y perspective) that I'm talking about.

Second, yes, where autofill was turned on, everyone would face a situation
where they would now have to distinguish between what the autofill is
suggesting, and what the field is actually asking for. Furthermore, once
someone correctly puts in a different value (say their spouse's name) from
now on, they would have two stored values for name via autofill.

I think it's pretty easy to see that both those scenarios more
significantly impact COGA users as a group, and even more so for those who
rely on a symbol substition or reinforcement.

I'm not saying that is reason to reject this, but it does show how the
nuances of this are hard for us to foresee in our 'forced march'.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034

From:   Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
To:     Michael Gower <michael.gower@ca.ibm.com>
Cc:     Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>, David MacDonald
<david@can-adapt.com>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date:   2018-01-17 08:55 AM
Subject:        Re: Created branch with proposed wording for 1.3.4

Ach, I’m sorry I mentioned it now, being in a 6-hour meeting made me very
talkative on WCAG matters somehow.

> Danger, WIll Robinson! That would seem to put us in the very unfortunate
situation where someone depending on the name attribute conveying meaning
will now be getting incorrect conversions happening.

They could get too many, yes. However, if they started using the
attributes due to WCAG, that is an unlikely outcome AND it would cause
issues with basic usability.

We are talking about general browser functionality, so *everyone* (with
autofill turned on) would get their name filled in!

Cheers,

-Alastair