RE: Created branch with proposed wording for 1.3.4

Yes, if the content author were to apply it in contexts where it isn’t the user’s name that is wanted. HTML5 allows them to do this; so does the WCAG 2.1 proposal.

I would prefer to separate the metadata-bearing attributes that are used to convey a UI control’s purpose for reasons of accessibility, from the autocomplete feature of HTML. This is one of the reasons why I’m not supportive of the current 1.3.4 proposal – I’m worried about negative consequences of dual-purposing the HTML autocomplete feature as a makeshift accessibility tool when we don’t have proper, normative, metadata specifications to cite.

From: Michael Gower [mailto:michael.gower@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:49 AM
To: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>; David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Created branch with proposed wording for 1.3.4

> Also, my understanding is that an author could use the ‘name’ autofill attribute on multiple inputs, WCAG would only require it on ones pertaining to the actual user.

Danger, WIll Robinson! That would seem to put us in the very unfortunate situation where someone depending on the name attribute conveying meaning will now be getting incorrect conversions happening.

That strikes me as singularly problematic. As you note, there is nothing in the html5 spec stating that applying the autofill to other entities is forbidden. In a situation where symbols are applied based on the autofill attribute values, will this not lead to potentially a much worse scenario for the user?

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com<mailto:gowerm@ca.ibm.com>
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034