Re: Resolving 1.4.11

This is what I was trying, not very clearly, to drive at on this last
call. Yes, I'm sad we've decided we don't want to force designers to
provide boundaries (if present) with sufficient contrast -- but I get the
issues.

Once we've dropped this as a measurement, I think we still get a readily
testable scope if we only say we care about state indication for UI
components. If the SC just read "Visual information used to indicate
states of user interface components..." that would mean that all UI
components, be they buttons, tab items or inputs, would need to have a 3:1
focus indicator, and where appropriate would need to have a selected
indicator. That would be relatively clear to all. I'm thinking that a
clean retreat is giving up more ground, but leaves less wounded on the
battle field.

Dropping "boundaries" and replacing with "required to identify" results in
increased discretionary room for designers, but also results in an
increase in the level of debate about which visual information is
necessary to ID the component.

Like Wilco, I'm not voting this down, but I do feel that it not only
muddies the water now, but may make it harder to rectify in 2.2.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034