RE: Target Size SC

+1 to Michael

About:
“Text Links - The target is a text link with a size that is at least 22 pixels in width or height unless it is in a block of text;”

I still have no clue what the exact rationale and well-founded reason is for the size of 22 CSS pixels and the combination with a block of text.

I guess the 22 is chosen  just because we have the Material Design 48x48 dp and Human Interface Guidelines 44x44 pt as a basis, adapted the 44 CSS pixels for this SC but it didn’t work for lists of links so we took half of it, 44x22 CSS pixels.
And now we also want to apply this size to text links IF they are not part of more than one sentence of text.

I struggle with this because:

-          One sentence can be bigger / contain more words than two sentences, so why the differentiation

-          One sentence can still cover multiple lines, especially when re-sizing for mobile / phone, so why the differentiation

-          22 pixels is the default link height for font-size 17px and thus will always comply, even when the link is 1 character / 22x3 CSS pixels

-          All font-sizes lower than 17 CSS pixels have different compliance rules for small words:

o   Some 2 / 3 / 4 letter words may or may not comply, depending on character width

o    Depending on CSS padding they may or may not comply, also in relation to the amount of characters

o   For content authors working with a CMS this is very hard to adjust / know besides measuring with a measure tool for every small link

o   For sites with different font sizes it may be so that some sizes may and others may not be used to link certain 3 / 4 character words but this is even different for other ones

Just some remarks why I wonder about the rationale although I do fully support big enough target sizes for all UICs.

Regards,
Jake Abma

Accessibility Lead ING
Product owner at Team A11Y

ING Nederland / CIO / Omnichannel / Experience
ACT B.02.166, Bijlmerdreef 24
Postbus 1800, 1000 BV Amsterdam
0031 (0)6 - 25 27 52 46
jake.abma@ing.nl<mailto:jake.abma@ing.nl>