Re: Target Size SC

Sending out my response to the broader group.

I wonder if we already have an "out" for the text link conundrum using:
User Agent Control - The appearance of the target is determined by the
user agent and is not modified by the author.

So, here's the scenario. If we just treat links as user agent controls,
just like an <input>, then I think maybe we gain all we need through the
'not modified by author' language.

Any time I've ever seen a link used as some kind of replacement for a
control, the author has ALWAYS modified the appearance. They don't want it
to look like a straight old underlined text link with a focus rectangle
around it because that doesn't jibe with the UI. So they make it 1) look
like a button or 2) look like a menu item or even 3) look less like a link
and more like a text control (a la iOS).

Yes, there is the possibility that someone will just leave it as a
thoroughly stock html link, but in my experience anything that is designed
to be a control will be affected -- the Designers just won't let it exist
in stock form. Conversely links that just fall inside text documents will
be less likely to be affected (but still could be).

We'd end up with:
Level AA The size of the target for pointer inputs is at least 44 by 22
CSS pixels except when:

Essential - A presentation of target is essential to the information being
conveyed;
Equivalent - The target is available through an equivalent link or control
on the same page that is at least 44 by 22 CSS pixels;
Text Links - The target is a text link with a size that is at least 22
pixels in width or height unless it is in a block of text;
User Agent Control - The appearance of the target is determined by the
user agent and is not modified by the author.

We add in wording to the Understanding document that makes it clear that
any alteration of user interface controls through suppression of
appearance, such as removal of underlining from links, or styling user
agent controls with CSS immediately makes the SC applicable. We may need
some language on links saying that changing only link text color for
visited and unvisited links is an exception. That addresses the block of
text situation, in the case where link color is modified but nothing else.

This is much the same tactic we took for User Interface Component Contrast
(and which was revised into Graphics Contrast:
The visual presentation of the following have a contrast ratio of at least
3:1 against adjacent color(s): (Level AA)
User Interface Components
Visual information used to indicate states and boundaries of active user
interface components, except where the appearance of the component is
determined by the user agent and not modified by the author.

Thoughts?

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034