Re: Is content on hover only a WCAG failure?

On 18/10/2017 14:27, Repsher, Stephen J wrote:
> But title doesn't show on focus for mouse users (except on IE/Edge with
> recent windows) so the text is not available to most keyboard users.
> However, in this example it is not a problem as the title element is not
> really providing any content which is useful.
>
> */[Steve] Following that logic through to technology independence, that
> means you feel a custom tooltip using the onmouseover event only is okay
> in some situations? Does that not contradict F54? /*

I believe James' sentence was a mistype - I think he meant "But title
doesn't show on focus for keyboard users" (as indeed IE/Edge do show
native title tooltips when an element receives keyboard focus).

So the follow-up question is redundant.

> If I had provided a useful title in this example then it would be a
> failure except if I could get to that information easily in another way.
> So again - if content only appears on hover - it is not always a
> failure. It is not a failure if that information is either useless or
> easily available in another way for keyboard users.
>
> */[Steve] But if I follow the letter of the law in 2.1.1, there is no
> such exception.  It seems we must decide either the display of hover
> content is part of the functionality or it isn’t.  If you argue it isn’t
> then I suppose the question falls to 1.3.1, but again there’s no
> exception for useless or repetitive information./*

2.1.1 talks about " All functionality of the content is operable through
a keyboard interface ....", where "functionality" is defined as
"processes and outcomes achievable through user action"
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#functiondef

The outcome of the hover functionality is to present the user with
content. If that content is also available elsewhere, then the page
still fulfills the purpose/outcome of presenting the user with said content.

Patrick H. Lauke