Re: CFC - Change to SC 2.6.2 Orientation

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 13:33:54 +0000
To: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
-1

Apologies because I missed the call and perhaps some of the rational, but the proposal:
"Content is operable in all display orientations supported by the user agent, except where display orientation is essential".

This version assumes the author knows what the user agent is, and what it is capable of.

I thought this approach had come up a few times before and been rejected because that assumption is not always (or ever?) true?

At the risk of causing SteveRep to want to hit me round the face with a wet fish, would it be a simple case for ‘essential’?

"Content is operable in all display orientations unless one display orientation is essential."

Or ‘content is not locked to...’, I’m sure it has been through a few versions but I don’t think referencing the user-agent will work.

Cheers,

-Alastair