From: Laura Carlson [mailto:laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:49 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>; public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Cc: Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu>
Subject: Solution for the Editor's Note on Adapting Text SC?

Hello Everyone,

The editor's note on the adapting Text SC currently states [1]:

"The Working Group seeks to include overriding text color, background color, and font-family as part of this SC, but is not yet able to identify a way to do so that is sufficiently testable."

Gregg V has suggested adding 2 bullet points and a note [2] to solve this:

<quote>

5. text color to any color that the user agent allows background color to any color that the user agent allows 6. font-family to any font family that the user agent allows and has immediately available

NOTE: If the user is changes the text and background colors - then the author is not responsible for meeting any contrast SC other than for the colors specified as default by the author.

<unquote>

In addition Scott Hollier seems to be in support of the color bullet and has commented [3], "The Adapting Text SC would be a fantastic addition. As a high contrast color user its often the case that websites don't account for user-defined colors and you end up in situations where text gets garbled or you can end up with for example, black text on a black background. The specifics of this need some work but I'm a big fan of the principle."

Should we add Gregg's bullets?

Previous discussion and related info:

The LVTF previously discuss dropping the font bullet from the SC. With the exception of Icon Fonts, which we hope to address via Issue 297 [4] the LVTF hasn't found a page yet where the font family cannot be overridden via bookmarklet or user stylesheet or VIP-PDF Reader. The TF resolved to remove the font bullet last April. [5]

The "Adapting Text user to content requirements table" [6] tries to sort out what actually breaks for users and how to address it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,
Laura