Re: Subgroups proposal for support personlization and important request from coga

Hi all,

Re: Option 2 @ AA - please see Issue #305
<https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/305>

contextual information
Proposed
The concept; role; importance for simplification; information that
clarifies the meaning; relationships
to other elements; position in a process; process of which this element is
a part.

How does a content author provide "...importance for simplification..." outside
of using coga-semantics?

   - Is there any other means of doing this today?
   - How is "importance" measured?
   - By whom?
   - How do we test for this today?
   - How do we verify accuracy?

This seems to me to be something of a back-door attempt to *require*
coga-semantics, despite the fact that the coga-semantics draft spec is not
complete.

Q: if the definition of contextual information was edited to remove the
'requirement' of "...importance for simplification...", and instead only
read:

contextual information

The concept; role; importance for simplification; information that
clarifies the meaning; relationships
to other elements; position in a process; process of which this element is
a part.

... would COGA still be happy with the AA proposal as now being presented?

That would then allow for the following:

   -
*​​ concept;*

*(can be a random text string, any language ​: <form title="Create your
   user account">​) *
   -
*​​ role; *
*(can be determined from ARIA <https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles>, or
   document native semantics) *
   -
*​​ information that clarifies the meaning;*

*(can be a random text string, any language ​. This potentially could be
   provided as a "help" icon or similar and conveyed as prose in a modal
   dialog, etc.​) *
   -
*​​ relationships to other elements;*

*(can be a random text string, any language ​; native semantics could also
   factor here. For example, Screen Readers today announce lists and how many
   bullet points [sic] are in the list when voicing, because all of the <li>s
   are contained within a parent <ul> or <ol>, (so we get announced "bullet,
   one of four")  *
   -
*​​ position in a process;*

*(can be a random text string, any language ​, and could include
   "breadcrumb" style navigation, especially in multi-step forms​) *
   -
*​​ process of which this element is a part.*

*(can be a random text string, any language ​; can be provided as on-screen
   text:      <h3 id="education">Information About Your Previous
   Education​</h3>​...            <form aria-describedby="education"> ...where
   on-screen proximity and aria-describedby both provide the required
   information as on-screen text, and the aria-describedby providing the
   programmatic linkage)*

f the COGA TF finds this all agreeable, then I could certainly back making
this an *AA proposed SC*.

***************

If however you believe that "no, that isn't good enough", then *why / why
not*?

I will continue to assert that it is because without a fixed taxonomy you
get contextual information, but presented to the end user in prose, which
is hard to then transform (personalize).

That's why a couple of us have suggested a more stringent AAA "Must use
metadata" approach, which will certainly be slower to see take-up, but
certainly more robust when delivered upon, as the taxonomical terms can
then be mapped to machines & software applications, machine-learning, and
machine-testing.

But to get there, we have to crawl before we sprint (never mind marathon
racing...)

*Idea:*

*Instead of making this an either/or, could we instead have both? A
significantly 'easier' AA, and the more robust AAA which includes using
metadata?*

FWIW, I would stand behind that idea too.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist