From:   "lisa.seeman" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
To:     Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu>
Cc:     "public-cognitive-a11y-tf" <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>,
"GLWAI Guidelines WG org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date:   2017-02-20 05:48 AM
Subject:        Re: proposed change for simple words in labels etc.

Thank you Gregg. I think we are getting closer

Note that the Sc is only for instructions, labels, navigational elements,
and error messages which require a response to continue.

SO there is no need to build a whole website along these lines. (That
would only be a AAA conformance level)

 Also if  you can comply by using a title tag or coga-easylang, will make
it much easier and less restrictive

I agree we will need a better term or clear definition of current context.
hopefully then we will get there.

Any suggestions for reworking the current context part?

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:40:13 +0200 Gregg C
Vanderheiden<greggvan@umd.edu> wrote ----
Simple, clear, and common words: Use the the most common 1500 words or
phrases or, provide words, phrases or abbreviations that are the are
most-common form to refer to the concept in the current context.

This is a very interesting definition.  By adding context — it makes
content self adjust.   For example — a physics site could have physics
terms on it - which would clearly not be plain language.

My only concern as an author would be that several key things are not
defined.

1)  what does “current context” mean.      If my website is the current
context — it means everything passes because those are the terms in my
context.    If the context is ‘science websites’  then I do not know what
the most common terms are for them — nor do I know what the definition of
‘science website’ is.   (That is — if you define current context as being
X context  then  X needs to be defined — and I need to know what the
common words are for that context.

2) the most common 1500 words includes lots of prepositions, and articles
(Most or all of them)  but only a small percentage of nouns.    Very hard
to write a website with only the most common 1500 words.    (I did word
frequency studies in my earlier years)

I think the approach is clever — but still leads to an untestable SC since
there is no way for the author  (or for testers) to know what “current
context” means.         (and you can’t write WCAG with the most common
1500 words)

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu