All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:11:26 +0200  White<jjwhite@ets.org> wrote ----

    +1 to David’s comments.

 From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
 Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:03 AM
 To: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
 Cc: lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>; Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>; John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>; W3c-Wai-Gl-Request@W3. Org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
 Subject: Re: Does anyone else agree with my perspective - was Re: "we should not allow user testing in exceptions" (was Re: clarifing the debate)

   >The group never considered Cognitive and LV disabilities with the necessary care in the past to solve the real problems.

  I think it's important to understand what WCAG is and isn't. In my opinion, WCAG is not a place to invent solutions to accessibility barriers. It is a place to VET existing solutions, and to provide a means for authors to honour existing solutions. The fact that we are trying to create a plugin that linearizes content, to show that it can be done, and are encountering many problems in the process, shows that there are currently no existing tools doing this. The fact that we are trying to accommodate cognitive attributes that have not been recognized in any standard yet, shows that there are currently no tools. I hope there soon will be. There has been almost no progress on these tools since WCAG 2.

  I think both Lisa and Wayne have good points, the cognitive and low vision community are both sorely lacking in adequate tools. The cognitive community needs AT that will simplify language and interfaces. It needs a standard of attributes to mark up content to read these and personalize the interface. The Low vision community needs tools to linearize content etc...

  WCAG can't fix that. When tools exist, then we can make requirements on authors to not break the effective functioning of those tools or plugins etc... This is what we've done with screen readers and it is what we can do in other domains as well.

  Regarding WCAG's attentiveness to the needs of people with low vision and cognitive disabilities. I was there. I saw the research available, I saw the tools available. WCAG did everything in its power to make requirements that were acceptable to all stakeholders given the lack of tools.

  I would like to see our limited time put into trying to solve our current problems within our current constraints. We have been charted to create a backward compatible updated version of WCAG 2.0. Version 2.1. We can't stray to ffar beyond that. We haven't been chartered to solve the lack of sufficient solutions that don't exist.

       Cheers,
 David MacDonald

 CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
 Tel:  613.235.4902