Re: Does anyone else agree with my perspective - was Re: "we should not allow user testing in exceptions" (was Re: clarifing the debate)

Hi Lisa,

I share your concerns and have seen in practice that user studies are often
not used to find barriers that cannot be found in other ways.  As an
example, I have been told that user studies are not needed because "we're
using Twitter Bootstrap and millions of people use Twitter so it must be
accessible."  In short, there are a lot of assumptions made about
accessibility and usability by people who are not familiar with
disabilities. Just because we don't have an "easy" way of testing something
doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be tested.

Paragraph 61 of the special report of *17th session of the United Nations
Human Rights Council
<http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/docs/17session/A.HRC.17.27_en.pdf>*
states that "...even where Internet connection is available, disadvantaged
groups, such as persons with disabilities and persons belonging to minority
groups, often face barriers to accessing the Internet in a way that is
meaningful, relevant and useful to them in their daily lives.“  While I
understand that there are limits to what the W3C can do, I also believe
that the ultimate goal is to help people with disabilities have meaningful,
relevant and useful access to information and I think we need to take the
time to make sure we carefully word the importance of user studies, even if
it doesn't make it in as a requirement.

Jan McSorley
VP, Accessibility
Psychometrics and Testing Services

400 Center Ridge Drive, Suite E
Austin, TX  78753
M - (512) 673-9569
Twitter: @Jan_McSorley
Skype:  jan.mcsorley
www.linkedin.com/in/janmcsorley

Learn more at pearson.com

[image: Pearson]

*We put a man on the moon in the 1960's ... surely we can make information
technology fully accessible to people with disabilities.  It can be done
... it must be done ... it will be done!*