Re: Automated and manual testing process

WCAG actually doesn't use the word "Manual testing" The phrase in the
introduction is "...  to be testable with a combination of automated
testing and human evaluation."

Here is the paragraph

============
All WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria are written as testable criteria for
objectively determining if content satisfies them. Testing the Success
Criteria would involve a combination of automated testing and human
evaluation. The content should be tested by those who understand how people
with different types of disabilities use the Web.

Testing and testable in the context refer to functional testing, that is
verifying that the content functions as expected, or in this case, that it
satisfies the Success Criteria. Although content may satisfy all Success
Criteria, the content may not always be usable by people with a wide
variety of disabilities. Therefore, usability testing is recommended, in
addition to the required functional testing. Usability testing aims to
determine how well people can use the content for its intended purpose. It
is recommended that users with disabilities be included in test groups when
performing usability testing.

https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html
=============

Mike says:
>> for example, a label accurately and clearly describes the thing that it
labels in a way that users with learning disabilities might be able to
understand is currently not something that is easy to automate. For such
cases, subjective testing will be the only practical way to assess whether
a significant accessibility barrier exists.

If we can establish a metric that is reliable and that we can establish a
high "inter rater reliability" among human testers who "derstand how people
with different types of disabilities use the Web" then it is testable. In
that case it's not "subjective" in the eyes of WCAG, and can be formulated
as a testable statement.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*