Re: Length of line

On 11/01/2017 14:52, David MacDonald wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something. For example say there is the line
>
> "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their
> establishment party for now and forever"
>
> And lets say that at the end of the word "their" we have a count of 45
> characters (I didn't count). The browser window is narrowed to 50
> characters. Then the line will wrap after "their" and it would pass.
>
> "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their  (45
> characters)
> establishment party for now and forever ..."
>
> This would pass because there are 50 or less characters on that line.
>
> No browser that I know would do this:

But they can (at least some of them) and in future will be able to when
directed to. See https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/CSS/hyphens

> "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their establish-
> ment party for now and forever"
>
> In other words.... most lines will be less than 50 characters if 50 is
> the threshold we decide on.

And what happens with words that are longer than this threshold?
Thinking German, for instance, which is famous for its unwieldy compound
words.

> We have an established precedent in 1.4.8 of using characters to measure
> line length. I think in a dot release we should stick with that, unless
> I'm missing something.

Not saying we shouldn't, but saying that questions like the above (what
happens with words that are longer than 50 characters?) need to be at
least aknowledged, and ideally solid solutions for pass techniques need
to be developed.

Patrick H. Lauke