Re[4]: CfC: Approve draft charter for AC review

Thanks Katie for the prompt reply - appreciated. Some comments inline -
trimmed a little.

>>To those influential people who pushed the ‘2 year agile-like
>>normative timeline’ agenda,
>>
>Katie - with all due respect, I just don't understand what that means.
>We are all 'influencers' here - including you.
>
>So if the remaining parts of this message are directed at any
>particular individuals/members I fail to have a clear understanding of
>who they are.
>

>KHS: They are: influential people who actively came up with this idea
>and actively *pushed* for it – without allowing for compromise (the ‘2
>year agile-like normative timeline’ agenda), and they know who they
>are. This suggestion and email was *not*directed towards those who
>merely agreed because it sounded like a good idea to them. Sorry if I
>wasn’t clear in the email about that – I thought *pushed* had covered
>it.

Ok - I appreciate that some voices are louder than others, but to be
fair we do our best to look between the lines and don't take anything
merely at face value.

>>If the draft Charter is approved by the AC, to help this WG meet the
>>IMHO unrealistic goal that was originally identified, but then not
>>*really* compromised upon (transparently within the WG itself, as it
>>should have been) up to a IMHO more-hopeful-still-unrealistic 3 year
>>timeline --
>>
>Your opinion is noted (and your previous input/comments have also been
>appreciated). Note, everything relating to this charter has been
>discuss ad naseam with the group in full transparency.
>

>KHS: I actually do not agree with that statement, Josh. And that is not
>a reflection on you or Andrew. There are behind-the-scenes of this WG
>meetings that happen and define the details, direction and make
>decisions about this group and its work.  That reality was in full
>force surrounding this issue and charter.

There are always 'machinations'. I'm not privy to many things, and just
rely on my best judgement (for better or worse) and the advice of my
peers (you and the other members).

<chair hat off>
The record will show I'm not a fan of this time cycle either but I can't
impose my will on the group.
</chair hat off>

>>Let me suggest a few things:
>>
>Again - I'm not sure who these suggestions are for, so I won't comment
>on them directly. If you have comments for the chairs or any TF/sub
>group, please qualify them by stating who they are directed at.
>
>I'm not trying to be funny here, btw.
>

>KHS: Again. they are: influential people who actively came up with this
>idea and actively *pushed* for it – without allowing for compromise
>(the ‘2 year agile-like normative timeline’ agenda), and they know who
>they are. This suggestion and email was *not*directed towards those who
>merely agreed because it sounded like a good idea to them.

Ok.

>>Please do NOT:
>>

>>[...]
>>

>>·         Use that influence to merely criticize SC work and content
>>put forward by others
>>(be leaders, be useful, provide WCAG 2.1 content or alternate content
>>for others to critique)
>>

>>​​​​​
>>
>>Please DO:
>>

>>·         Use your powerful influence to recruit more knowledgable
>>people to join the WG
>>(and not just those that agree with you)
>>
>I will comment on these two points. I urge you to please not to make
>these kinds of comments; implying that any members will use their
>influence to 'merely criticize' or only interact with those who have
>the same perspective. This language does not help/clarify any of the
>points that you are making and in effect, dilutes them. Respectful
>discourse is required here, even more so now, as this is a time where
>there is a divergence in opinions/wants.
>

>KHS: “Respectful discourse is required here”, I couldn’t agree more
>Josh.

Ok - good. Lets take that as a given.

>My comments and objections came about because this was not the case. On
>the subject of this Charter, some respected individuals went either
>unheard, or were contacted behind the scenes.
>

>Over the past year or so, some disruptive voices have in fact spent
>quite a bit of time 'merely criticizing' content brought forward to the
>WG by others, without offering alterative content.

Well - the group does look at all suggestions for either techniques/SC
'critically' - and will continue to do so. I do agree that work should
not just be shot down in flames - without a considered alternative.

>I believe that criticism via dis-respectful discourse, has silenced the
>voices of those who fear back-lash, but who have other opinions and
>ideas that could have been brought forward – and been very useful to
>our work. I fear that this has weakened input from newbies to this
>group – which in essence has damaged the integrity of this group.

I am sorry to hear this - and hope this not the case. We do try to give
as much room for question and comment and make our process and working
group interaction as 'human' as possible.
I will make more of an effort to ensure that new comers in particular
are not intimidated/fearful of venturing opinions etc, especially when
they go against the grain. We do need people to go against the grain
also. That friction brings progress.

>And for allowing that to happen, I do hold the chairs accountable. I do
>understand how complicated it is for you, but I wish the chairs had
>pushed back as hard (or even half as hard) on those folks who were
>disrespectful and dismissive to WG members, as you have been pushing
>back on me for my opinions – and in public, as you have done with me.

The chairs are responsible, for the outcomes of all our work yes.
However, I will push back on anyone when I feel it is appropriate and am
not shy to do so. I would not brook any disrespect between members also.
I don't intend to single you out btw - apologies if it feels like that.
Note, our discussions are open/onlist, as we believe it helps the group
know what is going on - and lessen talk of  'behind the scenes chatter'
etc. You just happen to be rather vocal here.

>My concern is this, that those who pushed/created this agile timeline
>idea….
>
>– will not do the *actual work* of 2.1 – but will fob it off on others,
>and…
>
>-- will focus on Silver/3.0 – and then complain that we have done the
>2.1 job poorly……

Ok - I agree with this also FWIW.

>I want to be very clear, that email was targeted at a very small set of
>influential people on the WG……
>

>Katie…….wishing my crystal ball was fogged, instead of filled with this
>very plausible vision of our future….

I don't feel we are on the verge of a11yageddon - I'm hopeful that the
next round (of AC review etc) will get us over the line and we can get
down to substantive work.

Thanks

Josh