Re[3]: What should we do with a long success criteria?

------ Original Message ------
From: "lisa.seeman" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
[...]
Subject: Re: Re: What should we do with a long success criteria?

[Chair hat off]

Very interesting thread, and thanks to all for input. I think Greggs
comment about stuffing an SC with too many provisions is something we
really need to remember when drafting SCs. While it seems like it is
going to create more potential SCs, I'd rather see more with clearer
requirments rather than fewer that are stuffed with too much and
difficult to satisfy.

>Another, maybe clearer option, is to allow separate techniques for each
>itemized item.
>(Each list item will have a separate number anyway)
>This would have the effect of making them act like separate success
>criteria whilst grouping them together
I like this idea.

>It really comes down to do we want to group them together. I think it
>makes them easier to implement and follow.
Totally.

Also in terms of the original question around how to frame the SC if it
is too long, it seems to me to outline only a single 'clause' in each
point:

3.3.3 Instructions, labels, navigation and important information are
provided with a clear writing style that includes:§
(simple text version: Use a clear writing style)

An easy to understand tense and voice. <del>Please refer to the
exemptions for changes for a defined scope such as a different location
or language.<del> The main task of each page is clarified though the
presentation, main heading and page title. <del>Extraneous information
is separated or progmatically determinable.</del> Use short clear
sentences with a maximum of one conjunction and two commas.  Choose
words that are in general use (and appropriate) for the context.
<del>Use word or phrase from the most commonly used 3000 words, unless
this will result in a loss of meaning. Note we may change the
number</del>. Avoid hyphenated words and acronyms unless they are the
common form to refer to the concept.
-http://www.fltr.ucl.ac.be/fltr/germ/etan/bibs/vocab/cup.html Clearly
differentiate between facts and less substantiated opinions. Was
rewritten from "Clearly differentiate between opinions and facts " (I
don't think this could be an SC btw). Reduce ambiguities by:<I think the
following sounds like a technique btw, and not an SC - calling it reduce
ambiguities may be sufficient>metaphors and non-literal text are not
used or can be automatically replaced via an easy to set user setting
and standardized technique. All meaning must be retained when
non-literal text are replaced. identifying each step in instructions,
using specific and concrete wording in instructions, the meaning of each
word should be clear from the word's context, or programmatically
determinable. On controls, links and buttons use words that identify
their function. <again the rest of this sounds like a technique)
Function can be the default term used for the function on the user
platform or the function of the button or link (such as "search" in
place of "go") or the destination of a link (such as "home" or "contact
us") In menus with sub menus: the text of each main menu item is easy to
understand. each sub menu item is clearly associated with the main menu
item under which it falls (This can be due being an industry or platform
default) Double negatives are not used A summary is provided. For pieces
of content with less then 200 words the heading may act as a summary.
HTH

Josh