Re: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

Yes the proposal would be a new tighter requirement in WCAG version 2.1
that would ensure links lists in screen readers are meaningful, which is
not required in 2.0.

Only the pertinent text could be referenced for the AccessibleName not a
long sentence. With the code i show below the links list would sound like
this.

-PDF  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
-Word  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
etc...

Which I think is useful in a list of links in a screen reader because they
just hit the down arrow if it's not what they want.

In the example, I would not have provided the entire sentence as the
context. I would have done something like this.

*<span id="p1">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two</span>*
 Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack
Thorne, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the
eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter
story to be presented on stage. <a id="p2" href="..." aria-labelledby="p2
p1">*PDF* </a>  etc...

Jason's comment about AccessibleName being a precise technical term is an
important consideration. I would propose that it is a cross platform stable
concept and it is not WINDOWS or APPLE or LINIX specific, it is pervasive
on all platforms that have an accessible API, and I think the term will
outlive this dot 1 version of WCAG.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*