Re: Should WCAG2.1 provide requirements or guidance on buttons vs. links?

+1 to Jonathan and Jason.

I continue to struggle with using Failure Techniques to "define" Success
Criteria - it just feels wrong and off to me, as there are so many ways to
'fail' that I struggle to see the value in documenting them all. Further,
as Katie previously pointed out, this WG had to go back and clarify that
Techniques are non-normative - a point we should be re-enforcing, not
slipping-on by referencing them as part of the defining of a SC.

For example, David references:

     Failure of 2.1.1 due to using a link for a button without trapping
spacebar to activate button

This is only  a failure when you have an actual keyboard that has a
spacebar - and lots of devices today don't have (nor expect) keyboards. So
I cannot "Fail" a webpage simply because a button cannot be activated by a
spacebar, because that's NOT what the Success Criteria calls for; it calls
for "All functionality <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#functiondef> of the
content is operable through a keyboard interface
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#keybrd-interfacedef> without requiring
specific timings for individual keystrokes, except where the underlying
function requires input that depends on the path of the user's movement and
not just the endpoints. (Level A)"  The keyboard interface is defined as
"...interface used by software to obtain keystroke input...", and as Jason
notes, "...the “standard keys” tend to be operating system dependent.", so
I am somewhat lost with the point David is trying to make: there is nothing
in WCAG 2.0 that mandates using a spacebar.

Calling out the desire to *also* make a pseudo button operate like an
actual button w.r.t. spacebar is a best practice in my opinion - as Jon
notes, as long as there is an accessible means to activate the "button"
then it meets the technical requirement. Anything above and beyond that
is usability/best-practice territory IMHO.

JF

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com

--
John Foliot