Re: 1.4.2 audio control, do we want to require the stop mechanism to be more discoverable?

On 12/07/2016 16:42, John Foliot wrote:
>> And, I might point out that auto-playing of audio is extremely
> distracting an disorienting for persons with cognitive and emotional
> disabilities – especially when the mechanism to turn off autoplay is not
> extremely clear…..

Can the video part of an auto-playing video also be distracting? I guess
2.2.2 Pause, Stop, Hide covers this part to an extent, though I think
that doesn't actually explicitly talk about video per se.

> Agreed, although thinking about this, maybe the answer is not "no
> auto-play" but rather, "no auto-volume" (without user input). We have
> great precedence here for that already, as this is what Facebook does
> with embedded videos today, and I've seen examples of video ads inserted
> on pages with the same functionality: the video is "playing" but the
> audio is muted until the end user adjusts the volume. (One of the other
> awesome things I'm noting is that, because of this default behavior
> in FaceBook, more videos are including captions, often artistically as
> part of the video, to further entice users to turn the audio up. Yay!)
>
> So... is this a one-stop issue? Are we looking for a mechanism to
> silence the audio quickly (and should we be contemplating a new SC for
> that?), or is the ability to actually stop the motion of the video
> quickly (i.e. it's more than just the audio conflict introduced by
> auto-start?) the same requirement, or a different one?

Would it make sense to add some form of "the mechanism to (turn off
audio / pause,stop,hide moving/blinking/scrolling content including
video) must be easily discoverable/reachable" to the existing 1.4.2 (for
audio) and 2.2.2 (for video) (both at Level A) and then make one or more
new SC(s) that cover having a mechanism to prevent autoplaying audio or
animated/moving/video content altogether, at level AA ?

Patrick H. Lauke