Re: Jonathan's concern: Zoom in responsive drops content

On 04/07/2016 20:05, David MacDonald wrote:
> Maybe we can borrow language from SC 2.4.5 the essential exception:
>
> ​* ​
> SC X.X.X If text is resized up to 200% (or 300, 400, 800%?) without
> assistive technology, the layout of the Web page ensures that it can be
> viewed in its entirety without requiring the user to scroll the viewport
> horizontally, and without loss of content or functionality, unless a
> particular presentation of text is essential to the information being
> conveyed.

You'd also need to leave it open to the possibility that a small-screen
version does things such as show additional links to separate pages
which contain the content that was optimized away/hidden compared to the
large screen version. i.e. the "desktop" version may have 2 columns with
lots of ancilliary features/widgets, while the "mobile" version drops
most of the ancilliary features, but unhides links to separate pages
where these features/widgets can still be accessed (or completely
different widgets, that serve the same purpose).

Basically, the same thinking behind the conforming alternate version
wording (even though we're not saying that a different layout triggered
by RWD is an alternate version, I do think the wording here can be
borrowed): "[...] does not need to be matched page for page with the
original (e.g., [...] may consist of multiple pages)."

Patrick H. Lauke