From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Monday, February 29, 2016 2:55 PM
To: GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Color Contrast (was RE: Coming to a decision on 2.2 - which has long since been lost in this thread)

I will join Loretta in retiring from this discussion unless a new question comes up.

In summary

1. icons are not text.   There may be SOME icons that are used in a sequence to form a natural language - but most icons are not used this way.

* (You COULD define something less than icons to be text — e.g.   “iconographic text”  like bliss symbols — but  icons as a whole are not used in sequence to communicate.

2. 1 item is not a sequence.

3. it would be nice to see some icons made simpler and high contrast.   But this is not possible or desirable for all icons.
4. due to the physics and math of icons — you cannot have more than two colors and have 4.5:1 contrast ratio with the background and each other.   And even then the background has to be near black or near white — and one of the other two colors must near white or black with the third taken from a colors near  4.5:1 contrast from the background and the other color.      So colored icons will be very limited if the text contrast rules are applied.

gregg