Re: Icon Fonts and contrast

Hi

No - it has to do with the nature of contrast.

Since you need to have a minimum contrast ratio of 4.5:1 -

Color A has to be very close to white
Color B can be almost any hue, but with a relative luminance value in a narrow range in the middle, and
Color C has to be very close to black.

There just isn't any room to get another color in there.

Think of mounting three shelves above each other on a wall in a room with an 11 foot ceiling -

If you needed a minimum of 5 feet between your shelves, you have some limited options on where to put the bottom, top, and middle shelves but you can’t have more than three.

(Contrast isn't linear so 4.5:1 is very near the middle of the contrast range.)

gregg