RE: Comment / question re. Requirements for WCAG 2.0 Extensions

>From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]

>>Comment 2:   relating to Section 2.2 examples
>>I find this line a bit unclear:
>>Reference: "Existing success criterion may be modified, but the
>>resulting change must still satisfy WCAG 2.0 success criteria"
>>
>>Maybe it can be re-worded:
>>"An existing success criterion can be modified by the extension in a
>>manner that it adds additional conformance requirements without
>>diluting or decreasing what is already required by the success
>>criterion in WCAG 2.0.
>
>This change doesn’t quite hit it for me.  I think that the original is more clear.
>What specifically isn’t clear in the original for you?

The word "modified" suggests to me the possibility of changes that are not strictly extensions. It would be clearer to say that further requirements may be added to a WCAG 2.0 success criterion. This would clarify that only additional requirements are intended to be created by extensions.

>We discussed this in a few calls and considered this, but the group ultimately
>decided that conforming to WCAG 2.0 at the AA level was more important
>than conforming to the extension at AA if the page is only at A.  It is possible
>for a page to be AA-conforming but only conform to the an extension at level
>A, but not the other way around.

I think this is a reasonable result.

Thank you for your compliance.