Re: Headings and ARIA substitutes

One thing that is being discussed in the LVTF and the Cognitive Task Force
is the notion of customization. That is, reconfiguration of the author's
presentation. Regarding the reconfiguration of visual to audio, WCAG 2 was
very clear and clean. This was not the case for visual presentation to new
visual presentation. The above context is needed to address heading
presentation.

Size is a poor discriminant in the large print world. Must people with
reduced visual acuity (a large LV group) need far more than 200%
enlargement. 400-900% is more like it. Now if headings are bigger, there
isn't any screen space left. The need for customization is demonstrated
here. If one can see color, color is a good discriminator. If not a prefix
like . For H1, ..  For H2, ... For H3, ... . For H4 etc is useful.
Depending on the individual's functional vision differences presentations
could be implemented differently.

This is an example of differences that could be implemented in HTML / CSS
with proper structure.

Given the enormous flexibility of HTML / CSS and Javascript, and the
remarkable rendering power of all major browsers, it is surprising how
little of this capability has be applied to the needs of people who need
re-configurable visual presentation.

Regarding the semantic implication of headings: Yes navigation would be
great for non screen reader users. For WCAG 2.1 we need to focus on
content, not what UAs can do.

Wayne