Re: Headings and ARIA substitutes

On 16/06/2016 18:24, Wayne Dick wrote:
> I really just wanted to remind the community that for visual users that
> don't see wai-aria roles, states and properties, headings are important
> and really the only thing we have.  UA's don't give us heading
> navigation, but clear visible heading can really help.

Aren't these two completely separate issues?

- visual/sighted users need headings to be styled in a way that makes
their "heading-ness" obvious (i.e. providing sizing etc that conveys
their hierarchy and overall document/page structure)

and

- headings need to be programmatically identified, so that AT can
announce them correctly

These aspects are independent from each other. I can use proper
<h1>-<h6> markup and at the same time set their visual styling to be
indistinguishable from regular paragraphs (satisfying the second point,
but not the first); conversely, I can use a plain <span>, but give all
the fake span headings an appropriate class that visually makes them
appear correctly.

These issues are independent from each other.

Patrick H. Lauke