RE: Add a 'Date reviewed' field to techniques and failures

From: josh@interaccess.ie [mailto:josh@interaccess.ie]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:40 PM

On the call today, it was suggested that this proposal to add a 'Date Approved' field to Techs and Failures
be tweaked to be 'Date reviewed'. [1]

How does the group feel about this? The consensus on the call was that it was a good idea, was relatively easy to
do technically and would help our users see that work is ongoing with our supporting materials.

It could generate the impression that the working group doesn’t adequately review techniques documents before publishing them as W3C notes. Everything in the document should be reviewed before publication, and any material that is inaccurate or out of date should be rectified. This is a normal and reasonable expectation when a working group publishes a document.

Thus, the last reviewed date should correspond to the date of publication, and in that case there’s no point in adding it, since the date at the start of the document tells all concerned when the working group last reviewed everything within it.

If it is desired to inform the public of ongoing work in non-normative materials, then a change history that lists improvements made since the previous version was published would be more informative than a review date added to individual techniques.

I’ve been reading this thread since its beginning, and to be completely open about it, I really don’t understand the point of the entire “date” proposal – or, as it is now, series of proposals.

Thank you for your compliance.