Re: Do icons fall under - 1.3.3 question for shapes/icons alone that are used everywhere now but were not back in 2008

On 25/04/2016 16:24, Jonathan Avila wrote:
> As I mentioned, with TalkBack active in Chrome simply focusing the
> item doesn't trigger the hover but a double tap does trigger a hover
> (example tested with the hover pseudo class) and it remains in the
> hover state.  That is focusing it with TalkBack appear to throw the
> element into the hovered state.

Purely for the Chrome side of things (as I don't do native development),
to clarify: yes it does, but it fires the hover (mouseover) event (and
sets the :hover pseudo-class) as part of its activation sequence, i.e.
it doesn't "just" hover, but only sets the CSS and fires the event as
part of its whole sequence of touchstart > touchend > mouseover >
mouseenter > mousemove > mousedown > focus > mouseup > click. So if
we're talking about having a concept of hover that can help a user
understand what an icon is (to, for instance, pop up some form of
tooltip), then on Android it's already too late as even if a tooltip was
shown on mouseover or using :hover pseudo, this would happen just when a
few milliseconds later the actual click event is fired (potentially
navigating away from the current page altogether, or triggering some
other state change).

Note that on iOS, there are heuristics which stop the event sequence
(and thus don't fire any further events like click) if a "change"
happened on the page as a result of the mouseover. But this is not part
of the touch events spec, and is a (I'll assume IPR-laden and
proprietary) heuristic that only iOS/Safari does.

> For native apps, a hover event is fired on TalkBack focus  -- see a
> bit about it in this thread.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17018252/android-override-talkback-gestures

Patrick H. Lauke