Re: Issue 171

If there is a visual indication of a Header, Footer, Navigation, etc...
then knowledge of these sections should be available to people who are
blind.
This is why we have 1.3.1.

Here is Gregg's comment about failures:
=====
actually, you can document a failure if there is a fail — at any point in
time.   A fail is like a technique.

Failures  (full name is    common failure  )  is

   - something that ALWAYS fails the SC as written
   - is common - and therefore worth documenting.

failures never modify WCAG - they just document what is a failure  (ALWAYS
a failure on all content)
We can add failures at any time we see one
we have to remove failures if things change and they are no longer ALWAYS a
failure (or because we find times when they would not be a fail)
=====
I have created a failure proposal here.
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/173