Re: CfC: Issue 171

On 06/04/2016 11:14, Adam Solomon wrote:
> reservation: the point was made in the email chain that headers and
> footers may not necessarily have relationships which need to be
> conveyed. The proposed response would imply that some technique, if not
> landmarks, needs to be used to convey the presence of headers etc.. I am
> not sure that the presence of all headers or footers needs to be
> conveyed. The standard footer which is just a series of links is an example.
> I propose adding the following to the proposed response:
>
> “The Working Group agrees that Landmarks are not required to meet SC
> 1.3.1 for any page with head/foot/navigation areas as there are other
> ways to indicate a page's structure in cases where important
> relationships need to be conveyed."
>
> The simple existence of a footer which has a different background color
> should not require semantic markup and the same goes for headers. If
> there is an essential visual designation not available in text then that
> would require some technique. Otherwise not.

Yes, that's a point I would like further discussion on too (once the
more immediate "are ARIA landmarks required" question has been answered.

Currently, to my understanding anyway, the SC's normative wording does
not specify that page/app regions need to be identified necessarily at
all, and indeed this will depend on the specific situation/case and
should not be made an absolute requirement in all situations, I'd say.

--
Patrick H. Lauke