Re: 1.3.1 question

On 4/4/2016 9:38 AM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> On 04/04/2016 16:28, David MacDonald wrote:
>> Naturally we want people to use the new technologies where there was no
>> previous good solution. For instance, on new web sites
>> - No page that has visually distinct headers, footers, Nav bars, main
>> content, and asides should be without an ACCESSIBLE NAME (and/or
>> ACCESSIBLE DESCRIPTION) for those sections.
>
> *SHOULD* in the spec sense of the word?
> Also, not sure there's absolute consensus on this point - it will
> depend on exactly what those areas contain, how complex the overall
> structure of the page is, etc.
I was about to post. As far as I'm aware accessible names on headers,
footers, a singular nav element and main are certainly not required or
even advised.

>> - No link text should have an ambiguous ACCESSIBLE NAME  (or ACCESSIBLE
>> DESCRIPTION), so the days of click here, read more, showing up in links
>> lists should be a thing of the past.
>
> Isn't this covered already by 2.4.9 Link Purpose (Link Only) ?
>
>> HTML5 and WAI ARIA have solved these problems with new HTML elements,
>> roles, aria-label, aria-labelledby etc...
>>
>> So how can we ensure that new sites do take advantages of these new ways
>> to solve old problems that previously were just hacked, or mostly not
>> done at all?
>
> I don't think there's any onus on WCAG to *ensure* that any specific
> technology is used over another. What matters is the end result: is
> the success criterion satisfied, e.g. can the user orient themselves
> on the page, can they distinguish different links, etc. Whether the
> implementation is using "hacked" solutions (that still work, mind) or
> new shiny technology is, for the most part, irrelevant, no?

Regards, James

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
James Nurthen | Principal Engineer, Accessibility
Phone: +1 650 506 6781 <tel:+1%20650%20506%206781> | Mobile: +1 415 987
1918 <tel:+1%20415%20987%201918> | Video: james.nurthen@oracle.com
<sip:james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Oracle Corporate Architecture
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood Cty, CA 94065