Re: 1.3.1 question

Lets be specific: what relationships are conveyed here through
presentation? In most of the landmarks (i.e. banner main search) there
often is no clear visual presentation of specific relationships. A banner
might or might not have a separate background color, and even so not sure
that conveys a relationship. It is simply content usually located at the
top of the page. A search box is just another form which anyway should have
a label. aria11 can be construed to apply to a page which uses clear and
present visual cues to denote these areas, which is usually not the case.
So we can leave this technique where it is to encourage its use without
saying it is mandatory (had a thought of suggesting it be advisory - please
don't throw any tomatoes at me).
+1 to gregg jon and their team