RE: H65 updates

We may be experiencing unintended consequences from an change made to the understanding document in September 2013 (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2013Sep/0014.html).

The goal for any input field is that users know how to complete the field correctly.

In most cases this is simple.  A form control for "first name" has an HTML label element with a programmatically associated value that provides the name for the control.  The label element text "first name" provides the label to meet 3.3.2, and the same element is used to satisfy 4.1.2 in providing an accessible name for the control for assistive technology users.

In other cases, such as the 3-field phone number control or the text field with "search" button for a site search, it is more complicated.

If a site has the phone number fields and they place the fields into a fieldset with the legend "Phone number".  Whether there is 1 phone number input or multiple, it seems reasonable to allow that the proximal location of the legend allows that text to serve as the label for the controls.  However, it may not be sufficient to provide support for 4.1.2, so in this case the title attribute (or aria-label) might be used, and in this way both AT and non-AT users are provided sufficient information about the control.

Technique G131 clarifies the test that would be used to evaluate this for 3.3.2 (http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140916/G131):
"For each interface component in the content:
1. Identify the purpose of the interface component.
2. Check that any required label is present.
3. Check that each label makes the component's purpose clear."

It is worth noting that there is no check for programmatic association.

In the example of the search field, we have a technique that speaks to this directly, G167 (http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140916/G167).

The description for G167 says:
"When a button invokes a function on an input field, has a clear text label, and is rendered adjacent to the input field, the button also acts as a label for the input field. This label helps users understand the purpose of the field without introducing repetitive text on the Web page. Buttons that label single text fields typically follow the input field.
Note: The field must also have a programmatically determined name, per Success Criterion 4.1.2."

I do agree that we need to do something to H65, as I agree that the addition of the title element doesn't help address 3.3.2.

Thoughts?
AWK