R: Bilingual captions conformance

Agree, two captions files are best solution IMHO.

Da: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Inviato: mercoledì 13 agosto 2014 00:45
A: WCAG
Oggetto: Bilingual captions conformance

Today we discussed captions. The question of native languages vs translations came up.

My understanding of Captioning is that it is a written representation of
speech, identification of speakers, and significant sounds.  The written
language should be the same as speaker's language.

The question of a bilingual video arises...
Technically the caption file should follow changes to languages with the
speaker...

Both YouTube and Vimeo require the person uploading a caption file to
identify the language... I find this awkward not to be able to identify the
second language. We have a lot of bilingual videos in Canada

I guess for a bilingual caption one would choose the primary language
assuming one is dominant when uploading... Like a web page...

However, I would suggest that it also be considered sufficient to provide
two caption files... One in each language... With translations when
appropriate and a written notification when translation starts vs. native
language...

As long as other sounds are in these caption files ...  is it conforming or
not to provide two caption files... I think it is...
What do others think?

We may want to check with some use groups...

David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100> LinkedIn