From: RichardWarren [mailto:richard.warren@userite.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 7:05 AM
To: Aurélien Levy; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: SC failure for opening new window without prior notice ?

Aurelien,

When a blind user activates a link that opens a new window without prior warning they do not know that a new window has been opened and thus their “browser history” renewed. Thus when they press the key for their screen reader to go back to the previous page nothing happens. Eventually they learn that we need to “close the current window” if we want to go back. However if they have followed as series of “blank-targets” this becomes a very hit-or-miss approach.

So in practical terms target="_blank" without a warning is a barrier and thus a failure of WCAG level A

SC 3.2.2 seems to cover this adequately. for example when it talks about form submission buttons being clearly marked as such, after all a form submission button is just a link to another page or state just as a target=”_blank”. The intention is clear here and it really is not practicable to provide examples of every possible situation where a change of context might be introduced. The over-riding essential is that the page operates in a predictable manner.

Richard