Re: [html-techs-tf] caption vs alt

Alastair Campbell wrote:
> Josh wrote:
>> Agreed, or if the ability to add @alt just isn't available then the<figcaption>  may well end up being
>> a combined description of the image, or parts or it - or a brief gestalt view - combined with witty
>> comment and so on."
>
> But is that enough for SC 1.1.1?

It may well be. It depends to a large degree on the text itself and the
use case (issues of user agent support aside for a moment). If it was a
reasonably verbose description or indeed short, snappy and useful for
example, then I can't see why not.

> Perhaps I'm just not getting the aim of the technique, as we seem to agree on the usage and issues. (It is the first time I've taken on a technique, so this is very possible.)

I suggest trying a couple of examples that present the use of
<figcaption> without the use of @alt, as Steve points out in HTML5 an
image without an alt attribute is allowed in cases where <figcaption>
text is present.

Lets then discuss the example on a call soon.

> If there is a technique for SC 1.1.1 where figcaption is used instead of @alt, it moves the problem (lack of alt text) to another element, but it doesn't solve the problem.
>
> There are two basic issues going on:
> 1. Most people don't know how (or what) to add for alt text without support.
> 2. There are systems which don't allow for adding @alt, but do allow for captions.
>
> If a system doesn't allow for @alt, it wouldn't support users in adding alt text or suitable figcaptions. Making the figcaption an acceptable alternative simply hides the issue of not having suitable alternative text.

Possibly, however I doubt that would be in line with author intent.
There may be cases where it is perfectly acceptable to just have the
<figcaption> content describing the image. For example, if you have a
photo of your friends going online, you many not need to do any more
that name them and describe what they are up to in the photo. The nitty
gritty of what they look like, are wearing etc may already be known to
the end user so a suitable <figcaption> combined/text comment may be
perfect.

HTH

Josh