Re: Working Meeting for WCAG techniques - Thursday 15 May, 2014 - 4pm EDT

Lorettaa,

>> * Also, note somewhere that the descirption will not show up in link lists. (Nothing >>prevents screen readers from including it, of course, but they don't seem to be doing >>that.)
Sailesh: This behavior of SRs is quite right. The aria-describedby
text is accessible description and is spoken after the anchor text
because it is contextual info and not the link's name. If
aria-labelledby is used, that text becomes the link's name and is
exposed as the link's identifier in a links list.
As one might expect, SRs do not expose a link's contextual info like
associated table header cell,  paragraph text or nearest heading text
in a links list.
>>* We also think there should be a similar technique using aria-labelledby, which has a different set of strengths and weaknesses (mostly related to how screen >>readers handle it).
Sailesh: ARIA7 is already documented for SC 2.4.4.

Thanks and regards,
Sailesh