Re: WG discussion: Nov 5, 2013: role=group technique

From: Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:26:47 -0800 (PST)
To: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Draft example 3:
      aria-checked="true" aria-labelledby="chk1" onkeydown="return checkBoxEvent(event);"
      onclick="return checkBoxEvent(event);">
      onkeydown="return checkBoxEvent(event);"
Sailesh

On Thu, 11/7/13, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

 Subject: Re: WG discussion: Nov 5, 2013: role=group technique
 To: "Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
 Cc: "Sailesh Panchang" <spanchang02@yahoo.com>, "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
 Date: Thursday, November 7, 2013, 9:48 AM

 Hi Sailesh,

 > Hello Joshue,
 >>> I think Kathys comment is a fair observation,
 unless it is a common pattern. Maybe>>we need a third
 example which uses the neutral<div>  elements
 also. This would also>>help to highlight the use of
 the ARIA grouping roles without any potential
 confusion>>over whether 'this element is valid on a
 table or not'.
 > I do not see where you see potential confusion. [...]

 It's more where there is potential to enhance it in others
 that I'm mindful of.

 > The technique that was
 > first submitted correctly reflected this in its title:
 > "Marking logical group of fields using role=group /
 role=radiogroup
 > when using fieldset-legend is not practical"
 > Maybe that should be reinstated?

 Thanks for that  - not a bad idea.

 > Sure one can use  role=group/radiogroup if one
 codes custom form
 > controls that cannot be labeled without ARIA or grouped
 with
 > fieldset-legend are still in a table-less container.
 Perhaps someone
 > might take an action item to create 'Example 3' for
 that situation.

 Ok, we can discuss this on the call on Tues.

 Josh