Re: SUGGESTIONS ON LABELLEDBY

Sailesh Panchang wrote:
> I look at this code and wonder what one is trying to accomplish:
> Use ARIA for the sake of using it?
> Heading tags expose structure and one can use them  suitably to do so.
> If the regions marked by aria roles has the  same labels as the content of an h-tag, what is one accomplishing?
> These are useless for sighted users anyway.
> For assistive technology users (mainly vision impaired ones) this is plain duplication.
> It is more useful if the label text described what  one sees visually but is not available by other markup, like
> <ul role="navigation" aria-label="secondary">
> So when one tells me go to the secondary navigation or main navigation, I know what they refer to.
> If someone were to say go to the 'Horses on Sale' or 'Mares' sections, I can do so easily using h-navigation.
> The code sample below  is unnecessary code I think.

Thanks for the feedback. OTTOMH, A simple use case is where a heading
has been used within a widget, that adequately describes the function of
the widget. Therefore the user has both a possible landmark labelled
with aria-labelledby if there is an existing heading, as well as the
heading itself. It's a valid usecase to my mind.

Cheers

Josh