From: Peter Korn [mailto:peter.korn@oracle.com]
Sent: 27 June 2013 21:45
To: David MacDonald
Cc: WCAG
Subject: Re: Revisiting whether & when we might write a technique related to SC 1.4.2 and OS per-app volume settings [was Re: Question about SC 1.4.2 - can this be met by relying on Windows (or otherwise the platform or user agent) to do it for you?]

David,

Is 1.4.4 invalidated?  No.  It is just met automatically most of the time (by pretty universal user-agent zoom), and responsible authors check to make sure they didn't break it (and it can be broken - e.g. with embedded content rendered by plug-ins, etc.).

What is being discussed, I think, is the first step toward 1.4.2 being met automatically most of the time, through the possible creation of a success technique that works today - in a more cumbersome way than would be ideal (though arguably no MORE cumbersome than on existing web pages) - on two OS releases.

Regards,

Peter