Re: 2.4.3, 1.3.2

Understood. But I still take issue with this for the following reason: While
we have endlessly stressed that no single technique is necessary to avoid a
failure, nevertheless a technique which in effect does nothing to promote
the fulfillment of a success criterion is really a failure in reverse. In
other words, H4 is simply saying to authors: If you are going to change the
focus order, don't do it in such a way as to break the reading order and
violate 1.3.2. That is inherently different from a technique which, for
instance, tells an author to markup tabular data in a table element. In such
a case, without the table markup, there exists some deficiency which needs
to be corrected. To be sure, other techniques exists which might replace the
need for table markup, but something should be done. In H4, on the other
hand, all the examples deal in cases where nothing needs to be done - as is,
we are satisfying both 2.4.3 and 1.3.2. It is just that the author is not
satisfied with the default tab order, and so we advise him to change it in a
way which won't contradict the reading order. Essentially, this is the
failure F44, which dictates that tabindex not break the reading order. If we
have such techniques (which are more or less simply tips on how not to fail
a success criterion and are wrapped as sufficient techniques for ease of
use) then I have no problem with this one as well. But if not, then this
technique is unnecessary.