Re: Review points for Understanding and Techniques

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Michael,
> One suggestion for G164.
> • G164: Providing a stated period of time after submission of the form when
> the order can be updated or canceled by the user
> Suggested title for G164:
> Clearly indicating the time within which an online request  (or
> transaction) may be amended or cancelled by the user after first making the
> request
> Another example for consideration:
> A bank permits users to pay bills  or transfer funds between accounts by
> submitting online requests. A link that allows users to edit or cancel
> requests is available against every request. The link is disabled one
> business day  prior to the scheduled transaction date. The form for
> submitting online requests has the following notification just before the
> submit button:
> You can amend / cancel this request upto two days before the scheduled
> transaction date.
> Thanks,
> Sailesh Panchang
> Web Accessibility Services Lead
> www.deque.com
>
> ===============================
Response from the Working Group
================================
This is an interesting way to word it so that it is slightly more flexible.

However, it is not clear that your example would necessarily work. If it was
less than two days when I made the transaction then there would be no time.
Part of the current wording states that you must provide a period of time
and you must state what it is.

Your new wording only requires that it be stated. It doesn't actually
require that one exist after I submit. In fact, you even state that if it's
less than two days there wouldn't even be a button or a notification. That
can't be an example of this technique which requires that you provide a time
in the notification.

We are changing the title to:

Providing a stated time within which an online request (or transaction) may
be amended or canceled by the user after making the request.

If you would like to submit a different example that would meet the
technique we would be happy to consider it.

Loretta Guarino Reid, WCAG WG Co-Chair
Gregg Vanderheiden, WCAG WG Co-Chair
Michael Cooper, WCAG WG Staff Contact

On behalf of the WCAG Working Group