Re: H89: certainly cannot be a sufficient technique

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Loretta et al,
> Refer to:
> H89: Using the title attribute to provide context-sensitive help
>
> There are serious deficiencies noted under user agent notes for H89 and it
> concludes with:
> "Note: Current user agents and assistive technologies do not always provide
> the information contained in the title attribute to users. Avoid using this
> technique in isolation until the title attribute has wide-spread support."
>  ... under Description.
>
> The title attribute is as old as the hills and browsers and AT are not
> going to change their behavior in a hurry any time soon.
> Context sensitive help text cannot be given via the title attribute. (In
> fact I tell clients this does not work and disuade its usage).
> If it is not AT supported how is it a sufficient technique?
> I suggest this technique be moved to advisory.
>
> Thanks,
> Sailesh Panchang
> www.deque.com

Response from the Working Group
H89 is only listed as an advisory technique for SC 3.3.5. Did we miss
someplace where it is erroneously listed as a sufficient technique?

Loretta Guarino Reid, WCAG WG Co-Chair
Gregg Vanderheiden, WCAG WG Co-Chair
Michael Cooper, WCAG WG Staff Contact

On behalf of the WCAG Working Group