Re: Checking WCAG 2.0 for Structure

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:58:16AM +0800, Vivienne CONWAY wrote:

  Hello Vivienne; and the W3C-GL:

> G141: To facilitate navigation and understanding of overall document
> structure, authors should use headings that are properly nested
> (e.g., h1 followed by h2, h2 followed by h2 or h3, h3 followed by h3
> or h4, etc.).

> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G141

 vs.

> H42: Example 2 apparently contradicts this by showing an H2 before
> an H1 and saying that headings should be used out of order (H42 is
> even linked to from G141) http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H42.html

  As a tool vendor (site testing), we'd also like clarification on
  this issue - at the moment we would flag the second example under
  H42 as an error based on the principle of importance:

   "A h2 is less important than an h1, so how can it come ABOVE it in
    the hierarchy?").

  This also ties in with the HTML5 outline algorithm, which is another
  tricky detail in this puzzle.

  Sincerely;
    Tina Holmboe

--