Re: Checking WCAG 2.0 for Structure

Vivienne,

SC 1.3.1 requires that headings be marked up so that they can be recognized
programmatically. If an author designs a page with headings that are not
organized hierarchically, then as long as they are marked up as headings,
they still meet SC 1.3.1.

We recognize that hierarchical headings can be very helpful to people, and
we consider them best practice. G141 is an advisory technique for SC 1.3.1,
that is, it is advice for going beyond the requirements of the success
criterion to improve the accessibility of the page.

H42 contains an example with non-hierarchical headings to make it clear
that, although they are recommended, hierarchical headings are *not*
required to meet SC 1.3.1.

G141 is a sufficient technique for SC 2.4.10, which addresses using headings
to organize the sections of a web page. However, this is a AAA success
criterion.

Does this help?

Loretta