Re: Question on <pre> and <code> - violation of 1.3.1?

Hi Tina, The <code> elements are not rendered on the page. As mentioned in
my email:
"(note I typed out the <code> tags to show where we use them. On the
rendered page those tags wouldn't be visible of course)."

I was just trying to show where the tags were... and trying to make the
post itself accessible:-)

The question is, if those tags are not visible nor readable by a screen
reader, is this a failure?

Here is the scenario I am referring to:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20080430/ARIA1.html. Search for
the word describedby in the first paragraph of Example 1.

Take care
Drew
Andrew LaHart
IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center
w3.ibm.com/able

             Christophe
             Strobbe
             <christophe.strob                                          To
             be@esat.kuleuven.         <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
             be>                                                        cc
             Sent by:
             w3c-wai-gl-reques                                     Subject
             t@w3.org                  Re: Question on <pre> and <code> -
                                       violation of 1.3.1?

             09/05/2008 10:47
             AM

At 16:37 5/09/2008, Tina Holmboe wrote:

>On  5 Sep, Andrew LaHart wrote:
>
> > "This example uses scripting to add the <code>describedby</code>
property
> > to user interface controls on the page"
> >
> > Is the use of <code> in this fashion a failure?
>
>   Surely the use of the semantically significant element "CODE" is more
>   than enough to satisfy the requirements?

The litmus test is support by AT; being semantic is not sufficient in
itself.

Best regards,

Christophe

--