Re: Comment LC-1175: definition of acronym

Gez Lemon wrote:

> Acronyms are like initialisms,
> except they can be pronounced as a word. Can we add, "pronounced as a
> word" to the end? Otherwise, can we follow Jason's advice and remove
> the definition from the glossary, as it's not essential to understand
> the difference for accessibility?
>
> acronym:  An abbreviation made from the initial letters or parts of a
> name or phrase that contains several words, pronounced as a word.

AFAIK, the definition of what is an acronym depends on the language.
There has been lots of discussion on this e.g. on the www-html list. And
as you probably know, the current XHTML 2.0 draft does not have an
acronym element any more.
--
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)