Re: About tests 37-41 (headers)

At http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#isohtml it is stated that ISOHTML already
got a way to forbid skipping header levels in the SGML-DTD of ISOHTML.

I think that avoiding skipping header levels was in the spirit of
initial's HTML specification authors, but somehow we lost compliance with
that rule since it was not properly expressed in the new DTDs. (XHTML 2.0
is repairing this issue, however).

There are some other conditions from the XHTML specification that can not
be expressed in the DTD (or XML Schema) of XHTML. For example, forms
should not nest. However it is possible to validate a document with nested
forms.

Is there an accessibility rule that avoids nesting forms? I guess we all
agree that such nested forms will not be functional (in general). I think
that forbidding nested forms has not been considered as an accessibility
issue (maybe it should be?) because, though not explicitly declared in the
DTD, it is in the spirit of HTML specification (just as many people think
that skipping headers is also in that spirit).

Anyway, though not every accessibility condition can be stated in a rule
within a DTD or XML Schema, as Chris said:

> The tech doc says "Skipping levels in the sequence of headings may create the
> impression that the structure of the document has not been properly thought
> through or that specific headings have been chosen for their visual rendering
> rather than their meaning"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20060427/#H42

So, my questions are:

1.- Is there a way to declare this as "good practice" or "good to have,
but not required" within WCAG 2.0? WCAG 1.0 already stated that not
skipping levels was recommended.

cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#document-headers"> Since
some users skim through a document by navigating its headings, it is
important to use them appropriately to convey document structure. Users
should order heading elements properly. For example, in HTML, H2 elements
should follow H1 elements, H3 elements should follow H2 elements, etc.
Content developers should not "skip" levels (e.g., H1 directly to H3).

2.- I still think that a maximum accessibility level (namely AAA), should
not skip headings because many users may think "that the structure of the
document has not been properly thought through". Why this is now not
required/recommended for level 3?

3.- Why will you allow that AAA documents might have undesirable
conditions like nesting forms or skipping levels? I think it is OK to not
require strict adherence to A or AA documents, but the maximum AAA level
documents should have no undesirable conditions like these.

Best regards.

P.S.: I know that accessibility addresses many "grey areas", but the WG
should find a way to name desirable conditions even though they are not
required.

Vicente Luque Centeno
Dep. Ingeniería Telemática
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid