RE: CLOSED: Issue #344 - take 2

I just went to see if we could do a comparison - and I realized we can't
until we have the contrast algorithm that they propose to use with the L
statistic they list at the site.   It looks like this will be available in
January sometime.

We'll can together a comparison at that time -- although the website refers
to a tool that has been developed that can be used to compare different
standards.   So perhaps they can use that tool to compare their algorithm
with our current algorithm at the 4 end conditions (black text, black
background, white text, white background) and in the middle somewhere - with
various different color anomalies for the two levels  (level 2 and level 3).
Basically something like the text/color swatches the group used in
evaluating the current rule before adopting it.   The group could then
compare the two approaches and see if it thinks their measure performs
better.

I have to say in advance that the two are similar and we could develop
something that is lightness based if that is seen by the group as more
desirable.  You do have to introduce veiling glare which I don't see in
their lightness calculation but they may have in their contrast formula
(which they currently can't show us - til sometime in January).

So let's sit back on this one and let them get past their conference. They
can then propose something to the group for us to consider. If they can
propose a specific alternate equation / criterion for our level 2 and level
3 guidelines there should still be time to consider them in January.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center